Monday, February 25, 2013

Feel the Burn

As I think I've mentioned before, I started taking a class at this conditioning place back in August. It was just once a week, and the class was sort of a boxing-themed class. I say boxing-themed because it was basically a circuit work-out and one or two of the stations were punching - either hitting the trainers hands while he wore mitts and/or punching a dummy. (We called the dummy Bob. Boxing Bob.) I really enjoyed this class, but sadly, it was canceled towards the end of the year because there weren't enough people showing up. This place is kind of small, not like a regular gym, so they only look to have 5 - 10 people in a class, and we weren't getting even that many.

Fortunately, they created a new class to take its place. This class was even going to be offered twice a week instead of just once. It was a Beginner HIIT class. (If you don't know what HIIT is, well, use Goggle.) This conditioning studio offers several regular HIIT classes, but I've known all along that I'm not up to that level, so I was really happy about this class, feeling like it would fit me better. It started at the beginning of the year and while it started off with several people, it didn't last long. I was showing up on both days that the class was offered and there were several times when I was the only one or there was only one other person.

It didn't take long for me to start getting concerned that this class was going to be canceled like the boxing class was. When I asked the class trainer about it last week, he said that it was likely going to get canceled. So the next day (just this past Thursday), I emailed the two owners, who are also trainers, about the class. I essentially said that I really liked the class and the studio, I didn't feel that I was up to the level of the regular HIIT class, and that if there was anything they could do to get more people in the Beginner class, I would really appreciate it. I even offered my help if they could think of any way I could help.

The reply I received a few hours later was basically said that the class is going to be canceled and that I should just join the regular HIIT class because the exercises can be scaled to fit whatever level people are on. There was more to the reply that didn't make sense to me and that I honestly think is just a bunch of BS.

I'm sad and I'm disappointed. I really liked going to this place even though it's completely out of the way for me. The atmosphere there is good. It feels like a community, and people are all supporting each other, which is tough to find at a regular gym. Even though I'm heavier and way more out of shape than just about everyone else there, I've never had anyone look at me like I'm gross or I don't belong. Truth is, trainers and other clients have always been really nice and welcoming. All except one of the owners... the same one who replied to my email. I don't know him much at all, and I definitely don't think he's a bad guy, but it seems like every time I'm around him, I get a more negative vibe from him. I think he's incredibly focused, but I'm started to wonder if his focus is a little off.

Anyway, my last class there is on Wednesday. I'm sad that I won't get to work with Steve any more. He's the only trainer I've ever worked with; I feel like we've developed a good rapport and that he's definitely helped me to at least get started on this journey. If I could afford to just see him as a personal trainer, I definitely would, but I don't have that kind of money. So I have to find somewhere else to go.

There's a new gym opening near me in the next few weeks. It's a Canadian chain. I belonged a gym (a different chain) for a couple years when I was still with XM. I started off well, being motivated and going at least a couple times a week. But, like so many people, that didn't last long. After this last experience, I've decided that I can't just belong to a gym. I need a class or a trainer or something else to keep me a little more accountable. So I'm hoping that this new gym will have a class or two that I'll like and can be a part of. The good news about having to find a new place is that it will be significantly closer and will very likely be cheaper than the conditioning studio that I'm about to leave.

Funny thing is, having to leave this place that I've really liked just seems like one more indicator that maybe my time in Edmonton should be ending...

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Bearette said...

I used to like going to gym classes too - harder now with the kids, but maybe I can go once again once Zoe is in school. They really do motivate you.

February 25, 2013 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home