Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Unemployed and Lovin' It

My last day at work was this past Wednesday, although my last official day was Thursday.  But we were finished by noon on Wednesday, so that was that.  I'm very happy to not have to get up so early and go to work every day.  Hopefully I don't get too spoiled, since it'll be at least a couple months before I'm working again.  It's going to be about six weeks before I even leave Edmonton, and then I have to get to Ohio and start looking for a job in Lexington.


Anyway, now it's just going to be packing stuff and getting rid of stuff.  Mostly getting rid of stuff.  Originally, my plan was to rent a passenger van for my stuff, then Mom and I would drive my car and the van back to Ohio.  I could not find a passenger van or any other kind of vehicle that we could drive one-way from Canada to the States except for U-Haul.  The smallest U-Haul truck would've been $1500!!  I'm so not spending that kind of money.  Mom suggested that she fly into Montana, rent a van there, then drive to Edmonton to get me and my stuff.  That way the van stays in the States, essentially.  Except that there were no passenger vans to rent.  The largest vehicle I could rent was a minivan, and that would still be $900 - $1,000!  Really not worth it.

After all that, I just decided to get rid of a lot of stuff, mail most of what I'm keeping, and bring the rest in my car.  Mom's still going to fly up and drive back with me, but we'll both be in my car, which means that we can take turns driving and it'll make the trip easier.  I'm slightly bummed that I'm going to have to re-buy some of the stuff that I'm getting rid of, but most of it is not worth the money that it would take to mail or ship it.  The one thing I'd really love to take with me - my bed - I can't take because you can't take mattresses across the border due to bed bugs.  So I was going to have to get rid of it anyway.

That's the latest for me.  With work finished, my life will likely be pretty boring for the next little while.  Forgive me if I don't blog much.  It just means that I have nothing to say!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home