Saturday, December 21, 2013

I may have found my new home

I went to check out an apartment this morning; I had invited Mom to go with me since we were originally going to be going together to the church building to help assemble holiday baskets for needy people in the area.  We did still do that, but I had a couple errands to run afterwards, so we drove separately, but she still went with me to see the apartment.


It's a 2 bedroom, 1 bath place with an attached 1 car garage.  It's a ranch style place, so I don't have anyone above or below me.  It's part of a string of 4 apartments (there are several strings along that street), so I would have people on either side of me, but I don't really expect to NOT have that, you know?  It's clean, looks fairly well maintained, and I know it's not super old.  I know those apartments were all built sometime after my family first moved to this town, although I don't recall exactly when.  There's nothing right behind this apartment except a tiny little creek and a little land, then some townhomes probably about 100 yards or more away.  There are ceiling fans in every room and central A/C, which is really nice.

There are two, pretty minor, downsides that I see to this place.  One is that the living room feels a little small and cramped, but it's not horrible.  There's a bit of a vaulted ceiling, so that helps.  The other issue is that I was hoping to find a place that include a washer and dryer, which this doesn't have, although it does have hookups.  It just means that I have to spend more money upfront in order to get those so that I'm not lugging my laundry to a laundromat (or Mom's house) forever.  Because that would suck.  But I think getting a washer and dryer is doable, I'm just not thrilled about it.

I hadn't originally planned on going for a 2 bedroom because, well, it's just me.  But the more I thought about it, the more I thought it might be a good idea.  As I'm sure I've mentioned before, I HATE moving.  HATE it.  I think it's such a pain.  So when I find a place I like, I tend to stay until I have a big reason to leave, like I'm completely leaving the area.  An extra bedroom will give me some more room to really settle in, especially if the living room is a little smaller.  Plus, Mom wants to eventually downsize to a smaller place, and I still have some stuff that I've been keeping in her basement.  If I have the extra room, then I'll be able to get all of that stuff out of her basement so she's only dealing with her stuff.

This apartment is at the limit of the budget I'd set for myself when I started looking, but it's still within my budget.  One of the guidelines I've heard is that you shouldn't pay more than what you earn (gross) in a week.  This apartment is $10 more a month than I what I earn in a week, so I'm okay with that.  

The apartment manager just gave me the code to the lockbox that's on the door, so I didn't actually meet him or talk to him about it at all today.  So I'll be calling him on Monday to discuss it and hopefully put in my application.  I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to move in, but I know it won't be before the first of the year, which is okay.  I just know that the more I think about it, the more excited I get!!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Bearette said...

Exciting. Extra room is always a good thing. Can you get a used washer/dryer?

December 21, 2013 4:59 PM  
Blogger This Suzy said...

I thought about that, but if I buy new ones, then they'll deliver them and hook them up for me, which would be a big help. And I should be able to afford new ones after a couple more weeks, so I wouldn't have to wait a terribly long time either.

December 28, 2013 8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home